Saturday, June 6, 2009

Potato & Bacon Soup


This is my first food post. Iv made this soup for probably 20 years. I think I adapted it from my clam chowder recipe. It's fast, easy and everyone loves it. I made this the other day and actually wrote it down so that I could add it to the recipes I am compiling for our family book.
Then I thought, well, why not take a picture and start putting all your recipes on your blog! OK, cool! This will be fun and my Nieces can just log on and get my recipes anytime they want to.
I will probably only post as I make, I will just have to see how it goes. That way I can get pictures.

6 cups diced potatoes 1 bay leaf
½ yellow onion chopped ½ tsp. kosher salt


1 pkg. thick cut smoked bacon (cut into 1 in. pieces and cooked in frying pan until lightly browned but still soft).


Dice and rinse potatoes, chop onion add to large pot along with bay leaf and kosher salt. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes and simmer on medium heat until just tender, do not drain. (about 10 min.)


While potatoes are simmering fry bacon in a separate frying pan.
Pour off excess fat, add ¼ cup water to de-glaze the pan.
rouge


¾ cup flour ½ tsp black pepper
1 quart half & half 1 stick of butter

In medium pot on medium heat melt butter then add flour and whisk, let cook 1 min then slowly start to whisk in the half and half. Keep whisking. Once this starts to thicken add it to the cooked undrained potatoes and stir. Add cooked bacon with pan juices. Add two shakes of hot sauce and sprinkle with paprika. Lower heat and allow to thicken about five minutes. Thin with milk or thicken with cornstarch if needed. Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with fresh diced chives and serve with your favorite crusty bread and a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment